Friday, August 29, 2014

Oil for the Lamps

Oil for the lamps ... Exodus 25:6

Beheadings, assaults, autism/vaccine crisis, riots ... all of this in just one week.

Does it make you want to crawl under a rock and hide with your children? Does it make you want to scream and shout? Does it make you want to fight?

I went to bed saddened by the fact that I felt like I had neither the resources, intelligence nor true gumption to do anything more then just veg out on social media reading about all of this.

Weeping may tarry for the night but joy comes with the morning (Psalm 103:11 ESV)

Then this morning, I woke up and sensed The Lord drawing me into His presence.  I began to have my devotion.  This is an excerpt of what I read:

"It was not every oil that might be used in The Lord's service...one oil only was selected, and that the best olive oil....The oil of gospel grace is pure and free ...Our churches are the Savior's golden candelabra, and if they are to be lights in the dark world, they must have much holy oil." (Spurgeon, Charles.  Morning by Morning, Nielson Royal Classics, pg. 223.)

My mind swiftly raced to John 3:16 ...

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life. 

The light bulb went on ... this is what The Lord wants me to do ... to be filled with His oil that I might be a light in this dark world.  How that will look in a practical sense ... honestly I don't know ... but I know that my first step is to dwell in His presence that I might be filled with His fresh oil ... because...

"A man can receive nothing unless it is given him from heaven."  John 3:27.  

You might be asking how can I be filled by His oil ... I want to be a light in this dark world.  It's simple, first believe in Jesus Christ ... then spend time getting to know Him.  Talk to Him (prayer) then listen to Him (read the Bible).  Simply enjoying being with Him .  Then get up and live it out!  We are the Savior's candelabra ... we are His light of hope to a dark and fallen world.

No comments:

Post a Comment